31 December 2016

Letitgo, Let It Go, Lexapro ...

A funny thing happened on the way to the end of 2016 ... Many, many people I loved or respected or loved and respected just up and left the damned planet. Every guitar should weep over the loss of Prince. 



My beloved and most dear and best friend Katie sent me the 40-song compilation, 4Ever, for Christmas this year. I just broke it out yesterday and discovered Moonbeam Levels, along with one of my favorite Princely tunes, Letitgo ... Then it hit me that he's really not coming back. Such, such, such a shame. Such a loss. 


It's been so damned long since I wrote on this blog, I can't remember how to format, so just bear with any ill-aligned or placed text and photos ...  

Well, this is that day where you're supposed to review your goings on and doings for the past 12 months. I have to say, apart from a few magical events and the love of my beloved, this year has been complete shit. Yeah, yeah, yeah, people die, but damn, do they all have to punch a higher floor in the same year? 

This is also the year when I stopped eating meat, and also tried to go vegan, but that sort of hit a wall. Maybe tomorrow, you know, with all the resolution-making festivities in full gear. I even bought a juicer. This one: 



So far, it's pretty cool, as far as juicers go, given that I didn't know a damned thing about juicing really until watching Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead. The only reason I saw that is because we entered the 21st century finally and got real, no limit, WiFi internets. Go us. Pretty big accomplishment for those who live in the styx. With that fancy, speedy internet, we got Netflix, thus bringing our purchase of really crappy DVDs to a screeching halt. 

Since giving up the meatly products, I can honestly say I have consumed more bananas, more watermelon and more cashews, roasted and raw, in this year than probably in my entire life. Onions and peppers, too - bells, jalapenos, poblanos, cubanelles .... Insane, I tell you. Only a few times have I seriously had a hankering for meat, and one of those was yesterday. Can't even say why, since I've been meat-free since early August. Probably the stress of driving down through the Valley of Windmills, which seems to keep getting ever closer to our house. It's looming just across the river now ... Just a matter of time before they start planting them in our backyard. See that tiny grouping? That was a few years back ... Now, NOW, they're everywhere for as far as you can see in most any direction between here and the hometown some 40 miles south.  


Too many people I know and love were sick this year, some still are, some are recovering, and one, thankfully, has won her war. One was my best friend so many, many moons ago. For reasons undefined here, we went our separate ways until this year, when I found out he was seriously ill. It's not my place to tell his story, but I'm just happy that we are now back in touch and in many respects, it's like no time passed. 

I spent way too much time here ... 


... and in Cleveland, generally. More time than I ever imagined I ever would.  It's a long-winded drama that nobody really cares about, but suffice it to say that my dad had some fairly significant heart surgery that came with a plethora of complications, leading to nearly a month-long stay in the big city. However, I wish more people could visit that place and realize that all this fucking rubbish we call politics is just bullshit and that people can survive, get along, and maybe even accomplish great things, no matter what race, religion, size, color, creed or sexual preference. When you're sick, all those things no longer matter. So, if that's the case, then maybe all those things should not matter during the course of everyday life. 

I didn't do a whole lot of reading this year, just a new copy of a productivity bible that I bought also many moons ago. This is the fully revised 2015 copy, which addresses the world as we now know it with the inclusion of all the technological advances. Fairly good read if you want to get your shit together ...  


I also picked up a few books about health and dietary concerns, including: 

         

Not going raw, and not doing the all starch, no fat thing either. I don't do good with fads, but both books have some pretty good recipes and some health info that is quite useful. 

It looks like we might have a fairly exciting year in 2017, musically.  I got my beloved tickets to see Opeth this spring and he got me tickets to see Stevie Nicks. I don't show it much with my permanent resting bitch face, but I'm excited and tickled. Some things to definitely look forward to! 

That all being said, I feel like I accomplished so very little this year. I did finish another rendition of the Vogue sweater ... This time in black, but I haven't taken a picture of it yet.  I sewed it all together and stuck it in the closet and forgot about it. I just washed it the other day. All that's left is to either wear it or give it away. It's very heavy, but it's very long, so I'm not quite sure what the plans are just yet.  

I haven't made any of those resolutions things just yet, and probably won't, to be completely forthright. Why bother. Why not just go ahead and get shit done instead?   There will be much working, much knitting, maybe some gardening, and maybe some more art ... Because I really shouldn't stop with the drawing, drawing that I never mentioned here since I stopped blogging for the most part ... I'll just show you ... 




So yeah, let's just say 2017 is the year of getting shit done, and also staying completely awake. If these past few years have taught me anything, it's that I can't just keep my head in the sands of ignorance anymore.  Things are insulting my soul, and there's no time like the present to make changes, and as I heard someone say this year, "Be the change you want to see." 

I leave you with this, and wishes for a very happy 2017: 


Image Credit: http://www.imagesbuddy.com/images/108/2013/12/happy-new-year-celebrations-





No comments: