03 November 2013

Animal

Yesterday I learned of the passing of a friend from years past. He had a busy life during his short time here on earth. I am certain he will be very sorely missed by those close to him. We were never best of friends, but drifted in and out of each other's lives regularly. There was never a dull moment with him. 

I can't tell you when we first met. He was just one of those people that just seemed to have always been there. I'm sure it was probably something church related, since we didn't go to the same school. He was a beast. He was a big man, even back then...probably well over 6'5. 

In the later years, after high school, his drumming took him down the path of music. He played with at least one bar band that I know of..."Tyrant" and always reminded me of Animal when he played. Same expression. During those years, when I so wanted to get into fashion, I will never forget making clothes for him. I made him a wicked vest, rocked out with all manner of brass and gold tack things. Cheesy as all hell, but it was befitting of the time. Those were just good times. 


After we drifted apart for the last time, he got into amateur wrestling. I think he was fairly good at it. I don't know anything about that part of his life though. Just amusing that he went from music to pro-ish wrestling. 


After that, apparently, he did a total turnaround and went off in an entirely new and unrelated direction. Religion. I was shocked, just a few years back, when I learned he was now a pastor of a church in the town where we grew up. Him? Religious? Whodda thunk? 


Though I don't agree with many of the things he came to believe in, I completely respect that he did what he felt he needed to do and he clearly had an impact on many people. 

With that in mind, I'll refrain from posting any of the covers he used to play or music we used to listen to back then, as it's not anything I think he would have been listening to in the more recent years. I just hope that wherever he has gone, he's in peace and he truly has found that for which he was looking. 

Rest in Peace, friend. 




No comments: