07 September 2013

Flipped On The Turn

Without the soul of Spanish guitar, nothing in this world would make sense. Nothing. I am instantly drawn to it from the second I hear even the HINT of a note that sounds like it will curl and twist and twirl around my brain. 

Without having heard this from a dear, sweet daughter-friend, I probably would never have found it.....



It may be one of the most beautiful videos I've ever seen.  Watch the women. Watch the dresses. Most importantly, watch the hands. I have never followed Flamenco dancing and I know just about zero about it, but to watch these women make all these exquisitely graceful movements is just a thing of beauty. I don't really understand the lyrics but the melody combined with the choreography, costuming and that amazing black flamenco gown painting the floor with elegant swirls just blows me away. 

Meet the artist:  Carss66

Perhaps there is some part of me that is of Spanish descent. I don't know all that much about my genetic make-up.....being adopted will do that to you.  I know my birth mother, who is for the most part Irish, but most of me, especially when I was younger, looked either Spanish, Italian, Greek or some other sort of heritage. Dark, near black eyes, dark lashes, dark brows, and dark skin when I was out in the sun all the time.  These days, I avoid the sun, so I'm fairly pasty. Even today, when I meet Mexican, Spanish, or other Latin-oriented people they ask me if I am the same. 

A strong penchant for all things Southwestern Arizona, Spanish architecture, Benicio Del Toro, salsa, and a definitive adoration of all things Spanish guitar would lead one to at least guess that there's some sort of Spanish blood running around in my veins.  


When I was very young, I got my very own Flamenco doll when we went to Arizona. I held on to her for years. She went everywhere I went. Then one day, she got tucked away in a storage barrel and I don't know where she is now. She probably looked similar to the lady in red....I remember vividly the ruffles, the darker skin and the black lace. I, however, blatantly digress......


The music of Gustavo Santaolalla absolutely blew me away the first time I heard it, in the lovely film, "The Insider". I bough the CD, Ronrocco and used it to help me fall asleep many a night. 

And finally, there is this.....




I think it would suffice to say that there was no real wake up call today, just me thinking about Boy With A Coin and connecting all the dots of my love for Spanish guitar. Sometimes, there is no message, sometimes, it's just about finding the beautiful things in life and simply enjoying them.  

No comments: