07 June 2013

Getting Shit Started




So it's a Peas sort of week. Deal. It's more the rhythm and Fergie than any lyrical profundity. 

This first week of freedom has been revolutionary for me. I'm becoming the person I have wanted and needed to be for quite some time.  Yeah, I'm a slow learner, what of it?  There comes a time when you just have to do shit. Get shit done. Start it. Be it. Think it. Act on it. Fate or the universe stepped in maybe, which explains why I walked away from a job that was slowly, but indeed draining my soul on the first day of the month.  

Why fight the losing battle of being a peon in a major retail corporation when I can leave, start over and fight a good fight or five doing things that actually matter?  And so, during this first week of reinvention, I have begun changing habits, mostly of the cleaning/organization kind. See, I've been a rather shoddy housekeeper for  most of my natural, breathing life. I always just chalked it up to genetics because I certainly did NOT take after my mother when it comes to house work.  To me, the norm was letting it stack up and THEN taking care of it, with a cursory sweeping, wiping of counters and doing dishes on a more regular basis.  

I'm not trying to do everything all at once.  Hell the first day, I felt like I was on top of the world because I took out all the burnable paper items that we'd been stocking up on since winter. And I burned them. Baby steps, right?  Next, I cleaned the kitchen sinks and shined them and have kept them clean all week, and intend to keep doing so.  It takes 21 days or so to form a habit.  This is Day 7. One-third of the way there!  Laundry is completely done, with only one basket left to fold. Normally, I would've let that stack up too.  Now, it's a load a day, no matter what.  

Then today, I found this: 



How very apropos, eh?  (I think that's the proper spelling of this word, but whatever, it sounds right in my head). 

There is a magical metric fuckton of things that I want and need to do around here.  It's been a long time, and I've let shit go...and I want to get shit done before we end up on an episode of Hoarders. Eww.  Not THAT bad, but there are TWO areas on the property that have true hoard-like potential. This will soon change. 

Alongside the whole renovation of my housekeeping mindset, I'm going to do something more productive with my time, this time around.  Volunteer work.  Getting out of the house. Meeting people. Making a valid difference in the life of at least one person. Don't get me wrong. I do DO things for people...I just never really make mention of things because truly I don't think it's any big deal.  But, this time, it's going to be on a more official basis, by joining up with any official organizations that I find that touch me. I started thinking about this before I left the job.....mainly because I saw a video on Upworthy's FB page about ending homelessness. Second only to saving animals from abuse, neglect and abandonment, homelessness touches me. Til now, though, I've felt utterly powerless.  I'm only one person, what could I possibly do?  Well, I guess we'll find out.  

Meanwhile, check out my sparkly clean, shiny and highly organized refrigerator, bitches. :D  


Get started. Get stupid. 
Step by step like an infant, new kid
Inch by inch with a new solution





No comments: