23 September 2012

Cellar Doors and Damage Plans




Of course, it's been a while. I'm nothing if not persistent in my pursuit of delaying the inevitable. I can't even tell you when last I wrote and I'm not looking because then I'd get back to that delay tactic.  Adapt or die, eh?  

So, I wake up to this going through my brain. I'm not a HUGE Neil Young fan, but this, I believe, is one of his masterpieces. That and it's got the phrase "Cellar Door". And only because I'm a HUGE Donnie Darko fiend, do I care about such a phrase. 


So many things have happened during my time away. Yet, I'm always looking for ways to forget about the things that are most troubling. The master of deceiving myself.  A form of survival, I suppose. Guess that's why the song applies. We're all junkies for something. Doesn't have to be a drug.....pick something. Pick anything. No matter the object, there's a junkie for it, out there somewhere.  

Pick your poison. Whatever gets you through the day, right? Not necessarily. More like, whatever helps you pretend like everything is ok, always has been and always will be. Keeps us comfortable. Keeps us numb. Keeps us from fighting tooth and nail to get to where we want to be. 

Sorry if I'm being a bit cryptic. The stories are too long to tell. Just want to bring to light the observation that the only way to throw away the needle is to get up and move past it. Let it keep knocking. Just don't answer the cellar door. 

This may signify my return....or maybe it's just a fleeting fancy. Won't know til tomorrow. xo 




I caught you knockin' at my cellar door 
I love you, baby, can I have some more 
Ooh, ooh, the damage done. 

I hit the city and I lost my band 
I watched the needle take another man 
Gone, gone, the damage done. 

I sing the song because I love the man 
I know that some of you don't understand
Milk-blood to keep from running out. 

I've seen the needle and the damage done 
A little part of it in everyone 
But every junkie's like a settin' sun.

No comments: