18 April 2012

Catching Cannon Balls

Lots of not much going on lately, Universally speaking. Nothing coming forth from the alarm and just trying to be a better me. Yesterday, learning about the impending departure of Levon Helm (via Slash on Twitter), however, gave me pause. I know absolutely jack about Levon, or The Band, for that matter. But I know this song....


It's a huge part of my youth....not sure how, just remember hearing it frequently. AND, there's always the factoid that it was written in the year of my birth. 

I'm fairly ignorant when it comes to music appreciation and music history. That's what my beloved is for....he always fills me in on the information I did or did not need to know, but like to know anyway. Take the fact that I heard Robbie Robertson for the first time, as a solo act, probably when I was around 17.....by that time, The Band was already disbanded. From the moment I heard this...


I was hooked. On that album. And only that album. I've tried his other stuff. Just, for the life of me, can't get into it. I'm in to good lyrics, and good stories within songs. Which will ruffle my beloved's metal feathers, since he insists that I should be more into things like Sabbath and Maiden. But.....therein lies the rub...because along with the lyricism, I have to have a sound that speaks to me. I just don't get the same vibes from the things he likes...nor he me. Yin and Yang, up and down, it all balances out.  

Like this, for instance, is an absolute exquisite example of what sucks me in..


Just. Wow. 

Then, you have The Black Crowes doing this...


Brilliance. 

See, I'm into the earthy, growly, bluesy, heart-wrenching shit. Probably why I was immediately drawn to this...


Just Perfection.  

I can't tell you why I am the way I am, musically (or any other way for that matter...). I just know what I like, and reallly, genre is useless to me, because I bounce all over the place from opera to hip hop...like with this....


There is just absolutely no rhyme, nor reason when it comes to me.  So I guess, today, after so much silence, the Universe is trying to get me to finally see that it doesn't matter....you are who you are and you should be completely and utterly, without fail, comfortable in your being. Like what you like, hate what you hate, listen, don't listen, and by all means, stop following the crowd.....they might be headed on an extremely long fall off a short cliff. 

Just. Be. You. 




and bounce a little....

No comments: