09 February 2012

Circles and Straight Lines

Nothing sailing through my brain today from the Universe. No alarm, just me up early as usual because I fell asleep during the last part of this...




If you have never heard Neil Peart laugh, you must watch this.  Second only to the laugh of Johnny Kelly in Type O Negative's 'After Dark' video, of which I cannot find a clip, but it is awesome! Makes me smile every time!  


Anywhooooooooooo, a few weeks ago, a gentleman by the name of James, from Independent Music Promotions, stopped by this here blog and proposed that he send some new music my way for a listen and maybe to share with others. So I listened. I told him that I made no promises as to featuring anything here at Wake Up Call because I tend to post whatever is on my MIND as opposed to doing any sort of marketing, reviews, etc. And while I am absolutely certain that there are many people out there that will find what they are looking for in the musical stylings of the bands he forwarded, I know that I am probably not going to be one of them.  However, in the interest of fairness and a very open mind, I am going to share with you some linkities and you can peruse them at will.....

The Monks of Mellonwah

Rooftop Runners

DRUNKSOULS

Katrin the Thrill

Doug Prescott

You know what they say about trash and treasure.....so anything I would say would purely be my own opinion, and doesn't mean squat. If the music above does something for you, sweet. If not, then it just doesn't. 

Which makes me think more about how I choose what I listen to. For lack of a better term, it's a rather ""organic"" process. With me, it always has been. It's any combination of the voice, the lyrics and the melody.....or one of the three....that pull me in. For whatever reason, this song popped into my brain, probably after at least two decades of not having heard it....


I don't schedule time to go pick out a new artist. I don't listen to terrestrial or extraterrestrial, for that matter, radio.  Usually, if I hear something new, it's via something on TV or a movie or even something I run across on the web of Inters. Used to be, I'd go to the music store (quickly becoming a thing of the long ago past) and just pick something at random, just for shits and giggles.  It's how I found Extreme and it's how I found Life of Agony, just to name two.  

Sometimes, it happens purely by accident.  I didn't know JACK SHIT about Manhole when we went to see Type O Negative at Piere's in Ft. Wayne, back in 1996.  But, what has now evolved into My Ruin, has not ceased to entertain, enlighten, enrage and enthrall me ever since the first time I laid eyes on Tairrie B and heard her not-so-delicate SCREAM.  If you want to check them out, you can download their latest album for fucking FREE and decide for yourself.....

Just hit up MyRuin.net, from which I very gently and lovingly borrowed this shot but will remove it if Mrs. B demands it!  

I guess my point is, music is where you find it, and it's yours when you like it. There are far too many options out there, far too many excellent artists, performers, groups and sounds for someone NOT to be able to find SOMETHING that reaches their soul.  It's all about the search. It's all about keeping an open mind, not getting stuck in the Stepford Sheep mode, getting sucked into the same 5 songs your local radio station plays, simply because they only want to cater to the "masses". 

Enjoy your Thursday. I'm off to go play with donuts and baked goods. 


No comments: