01 December 2011

Ignite Your Bones


Nothing but a beep to wake up to this morning. It's my first official day off, at the new job thing. The beep, because my beloved had to call a colleague to cover for him today. Long story, but suffice it to say that one's digits combined with heavy equipment can sometimes lead to serious boo-boos!  

He didn't ignite his bones, but he sure did smash and shatter the hell out of one of them....proving that no matter how brightly lit up you are with safety vests and hard hats, shit still happens. Take note, dear corporate geniusii. He's had his share of bumps, bruises and sprained backs....but never anything that put him in line to nearly lose a digit. 

So, whilst driving home from work, yesterday, of course this song came to mind......



My beloved has a dangerous job. No, he may not be a soldier, a law enforcement officer, a firefighter or a miner, but every day, he goes to work, in rain, wind, sleet, snow, lightning, thunder and all other manner of weatherly bullshite, works with unwieldy, heavy, stupidly unsafe equipment and train cars, and then gets into the beast and maneuvers through a metric fuqueton of unintelligent drivers to haul tens of thousands of pounds of this lovely, dusty crap called soda ash to a plant so that you, I, and everyone in between, can have products made of glass. Did you know your glass has soda ash in it? I didn't, until he started this job. 

So, when he called me right before work yesterday, and told me that he should probably tell me something...and went on to mention that he hurt himself, I couldn't think anything BUT the worst, since he never calls if he just bumped his head on the train car or got bounced around by stubborn train car gate cranks. 

It's very unsettling to think of him getting severely injured at work, because he works alone, in the very early, very dark hours of the morning...with only the headlights of the car for vision and no one around in case something should happen. It's easy to think the worst. My grandpa lost all the fingers on a hand once, because he was working alone, on the farm, and the combine belts decided to eat his hand for a snack. 

But no matter how bad it is, I will try to fix him. I will make sure he takes all his antibiotics and pain meds and keeps the wounds clean and wrapped and splinted. I will love him. I might not talk about it anymore, because I believe that talking about things like that can put you in a place of hyperfocus where you will then repeat the same steps, and I think it's better to learn from it, move forward and be safe.  Just like the fact that I will probably never discuss working with meat slicers and the like because if I start to actually THINK about working with them, I'm more likely to mangle my own fingers.  I can, however, guarantee that I will not pull a Mickey Rourke 'The Wrestler' move and purposely place my fingers into the spinning blades. Ew. No. 


Coldplay

When you try your best, but you don't succeed
When you get what you want, but not what you need
When you feel so tired, but you can't sleep
Stuck in reverse

And the tears come streaming down your face
When you lose something you can't replace
When you love someone, but it goes to waste
Could it be worse?

Lights will guide you home
And ignite your bones
And I will try to fix you

And high up above or down below
When you're too in love to let it go
But if you never try you'll never know
Just what you're worth

Lights will guide you home
And ignite your bones
And I will try to fix you

Tears stream down on your face
When you lose something you cannot replace
Tears stream down on your face
And I...

Tears stream down on your face
I promise you I will learn from my mistakes
Tears stream down on your face
And I...

Lights will guide you home
And ignite your bones
And I will try to fix you 

2 comments:

DS_Aldridge said...

I'm so sorry "the beloved" was injured.:( He's lucky to have you to fix his soul while his body heals. Please give him kisses from me.

Miragi said...

I'm just happy and grateful that it wasn't any worse and that his digit is still intact....just very ugly looking at the moment. Thank you :D xoxox