25 December 2011

Bells Will Be Ringing

...in my head.  It's that day. Sans the white and blustery, blowing snow, but it's Christmas! We got a brand, spankin' new coffee maker, which we were in dire need of, and it has now officially brewed it's first pot of pretty tasty Wake Up juice!  This thing even comes with programmability....which is new to techno-phobes such as us!  Of course, I set lofty goals, since I'd been up since 3:30 AM yesterday morning, figuring that if I went to bed at 11:45 PM, I'd maybe manage to sleep til at least 6:00 AM.  Wrong. So, I didn't get to test out the pre-brewing feature. Yet.

Soooooooooooo this is Christmas.....


I don't fall for all the fluffy songs.....so today, I'm just going to share some of my favorites, the tunes that really put me in the mood for this day.  


It's just not Christmas for me without The Boss. Just. Not. 


Then there's this song, that, for some reason, never leaves my eyes completely dry. Don't know why, because most any version, except for any uptempo renditions, does it. Must be the melody. This one, I think is my favorite, however. Say what you will about Ms. Aguilera, the girl's got chops. I just wish she'd pick better songs some times!   


Then there is this. Another tear-jerker, but for different reasonings. See, when I was a young one, forced to go to church on a regular basis, there was this guy named Steve that taught Sunday School classes and always seemed to just be around. Every Christmas, during Christmas Eve services, he would play this on his trumpet. I was too young to totally comprehend, but even at that age, the melody alone was exquisite. And then, he died. Though it's kind of foggy, I think that this might have been one of my first experiences with death. Every year after that, having to go to church on that night, it was just a little bit more difficult. They somehow had a recording of his trumpetary version, which they played in his honor then for several years afterward. So yeah, hearing the Josh Groban version just compounds it. 

I think that pretty much sums up the Christmas songs that make me happy, sad, reminiscent and full of seasonal shit. :)  

I hope you and yours have a wonderful holiday, no matter where you are or what you celebrate. A day that means so many different things to many different people, and one that should NOT be filled with stress and anxiety. 

Merry Christmas!  xoxo 




2 comments:

DS_Aldridge said...

I don't know why, but this didn't get to my inbox until today Email is strange. Anyway, that's a sad story about O Holy Night. That's my favorite Christmas song. When I was little, there was a girl named Gwen Bishop who was in school with me. She had this crazy religious mother, who wouldn't let me come into their yard because we were playing some game once and I said "Hot as the Devil." So one Christmas in 6th grade, we she was going to sing a solo at her church, and she got up in front of the class and sang "O Holy Night" accapella. It was so beautiful and pure. Years later, I heard she got pregnant and her crazy mother threw her out, and she killed herself. Every time I hear that song, I think about Gwen.

Miragi said...

Makes you wonder why it's so great to be a Christian when they seem to be so very busy sitting in judgment and casting hatred all around instead of following their own mantra about God Being Love.... :/ x